4 January 2013

Christmas

Since we moved to Uganda 8 and a half months ago I have come to the understanding that we as a family need to approach some celebrations differently then we would have in Canada. Christmas for me was the big one that needed some refocusing. In Canada it seemed to be easier to get into the the feel of the season. About mid November the temperature would drop and the snow would start to fall. Then you would start to realize that Christmas was on it's way. But being in a country were the temperature doesn't drop below +18 degrees Celsius all year long and there is no snow it was a little harder to realize that Christmas was approaching.

This year as Christmas approached I noticed that I was having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit and the understanding that it was coming fast. So I decided to focus on why we celebrate at this time of year. I really like to listen to music and Christmas music is probably my favorite. So I thought that would be a good place to start.  This year as I listened to the music I decided to not just have it on in the background, but to really listen to the words of the songs. As I listened I began to remember why we celebrate Christmas.

We celebrate this baby's birth because if this baby had not been born we would not have Easter. Our amazing God loves us so much that He wanted to save us from certain death. The only way for Him to do this was to came down to earth and be the sacrifice we needed to be saved.

After realizing this it wasn't very hard to feel like Christmas was coming and to be excited about the celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment